In order to immigrate to France from Ukraine, one would have to follow the regular route for obtaining a residence permit that suits the purpose of the prolonged stay in the country.
Employment, business, study, and family reunification are common motives for those who choose to move to France from Ukraine.
As a response to the Russian invasion of Ukraine, France has implemented the European Union’s decision to allow temporary protection to displaced Ukrainian nationals.
As a result of the policies in force, Ukrainian citizens can apply for temporary protection which grants them temporary residence in France, and renew this protection for a certain period of time.
If you are planning to immigrate to France from Ukraine, our team of French immigration agents can assist you. Please feel free to reach out to one of our agents as soon as you are able to in order to receive guidance for you and your family.
Table of Contents
Temporary protection for Ukrainian nationals in France
According to the EU decision, France now offers temporary protection to Ukrainian citizens who fall under the following categories:
- individuals who are Ukrainian citizens who have been living in Ukraine until 24 February 2022;
- non-Ukrainian citizens who have been awarded protection in Ukraine by the Ukrainian authorities;
- non-Ukrainian citizens who have a valid permanent residence permit issued by the Ukrainian authorities and cannot return to their home country safely;
- the family member of one of the categories listed above (spouse, unmarried minor child, dependent parent).
If you fall under one of the categories above, our French immigration specialists can help you apply for temporary protection with the prefecture corresponding to your place of stay in the country.
For some Ukrainian nationals, this can be the first step toward the process to immigrate to France from Ukraine.
If you want to move to France but are currently in another country as a Ukrainian citizen, our team can provide you with special information about the asylum conditions, or your ability to apply for a work residence permit, based on your field of work and/or experience. We also provide essential information on how you can reunite with your family members. Please do not hesitate to contact us.
Residing in France as a Ukrainian national
Under the new rules for temporary protection, Ukrainian citizens will be awarded the equivalent of a temporary residence permit, with the following characteristics:
- temporary protection is valid for 6 months and it is renewable for up to 3 years;
- holders of temporary protection are entitled to receive financial assistance; the amount depends on the number of family members;
- individuals receive accommodation in an emergency reception facility; they are also entitled to personal housing assistance to reduce the amount of due rent;
- the temporary residence permit issued to Ukrainian nationals allows them to receive full medical care coverage; medical and psychological support is included;
- holders of this permit can open a bank account in France and can also benefit from the services offered by the French Red Cross Family Renewal Program to find their family members.
Ukrainians who relocate to France from Ukraine under the temporary protection rules can work in the country and will receive assistance according to their qualification level.
Work trainings are available through different agencies and the recognition of the diplomas and qualifications is performed with the relevant French authorities.
Our team of French immigration specialists can help you with information about employment in the country according to age, and qualifications.
French newspaper Le Monde, citing sources from the French Office of Immigration and Integration, reports that:
- since the beginning of the Russian invasion on February 24th almost 5 million Ukrainians have left their home country;
- 57,000 Ukrainians applied to receive a French subsistence allowance (according to data from April 18th);
- as a comparison, less than 19,000 Ukrainians had a residence permit in France in 2021.
Coming to France under the temporary protection permit can be the first step toward the process to immigrate to France from Ukraine.
Ukrainian citizens who wish to obtain residency in France will first be able to do so under a temporary residence permit. Due to the exceptional situation in their country of origin, Ukrainians are subject to an application procedure that takes their situation into account. If you wish to make your relocation from Ukraine permanent, and you are a Ukrainian citizen, you can discuss your options with our team.
Contact our team of French immigration specialists if you are already in the country and have questions about your rights under the temporary protection rules or if you are just planning to relocate to France.